More than 400 years ago, the Spanish conqueror (“conquistador”) Francisco Pizarro namedLimathe City of the Kings (“Ciudad de los Reyes”). Nowadays, that same city, which rose from the lands of the native chief Taulischusco, is a metropolis of over 7 million people who proudly preserve the colonial convents and mansionswhich are symbols of their ancient and noble traditions.
Lima, capital of Peru, founded on January 18, 1535, is amodern city which, while constantly expanding, has also managed to maintain the elegance of its Historic Center. Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Center, due to the large number of artistic monuments found there, HistoricLimais an enchanting haven of a period long gone.
Lima‘s Cathedral, which City Fathers began building on the very day of the city’s foundation; the Church and Convent of San Francisco, due to its harmony of volume and color, considered by some as the greatest architectural complex of its kind in Latin America, and Santo Domingo, with its beautiful main cloister, are but a few of the invaluable treasures which provide evidence of Lima’s deep religious faith.
Similarly, mansions such as the House of Aliaga (“Casa Aliaga”), built upon the private temple of the chief Taulichusco; the House of Goyeneche or Rada (“Casa Goyeneche or Rada”), with its obvious French influences; and the Torre Tagle Palace (“Palacio de Torre Tagle”), the most beautiful ofLima‘s early 18th century mansions, all symbolize the splendor and ostentation of the Viceregal era.
Built on the banks of the River Rimac, and caressed by the waters of the Pacific Ocean, the city ofLimaalso preserves traces of its pre-Hispanic period; most notably the great sanctuary of Pachacamac, where a god of the same name was worshipped, and the ‘huaca’ Pucllana, in the district of Miraflores, an important administrative center of theLimaculture (400 AC).
Lima’s name comes from the ‘aymara’ word lima-limac or limac-huayta, the name of a yellow flower; or from the quechua ´rimac´ meaning ‘speaker’. Because of these links with the pre-Hispanic past, its colonial past and the strong religious faith it gave it; its modern outlook and its festive nature, which bathes its eternally gray sky in color,Lima, will always be the City of the Kings.
ATTRACTIONS IN LIMA
The visitor to Lima will never be bored, as there are LIMA PICTURE LIMAso many nooks and crannies to discover and get to know. Visitors, like the native “Limeños”, will notice that time flies while in the “City of Kings”.LIMA PICTURE LIMA So, make the best of your time while there, to visit its old mansions and impressive convents and churches LIMA PICTURE LIMA, its pre-Hispanic ruins, its museums and squares LIMA PICTURE LIMA and its modern parts as well with its skyscrapers and the neon lights that enliven its busy nightlife.
LIMA HISTORICAL CENTER
LIMA PICTURE LIMAConstruction was begun on Lima Cathedral, on the city’s Main Square (Plaza Mayor), with the city’s foundation, on January 18, 1535. Initially a modest church, in 1564, architect Jeronimo de Aliaga designed a temple of monumental dimensions modeled on Seville Cathedral in Spain.
Notable features in its interior are its choir pews, the ivory baroque chapel of La Inmaculada and the Christ donated by Carlos V of Spain, and the tomb of Francisco Pizarro, the “conquistador” of Peru.
Santo Domingo Church:
Santo Domingo, the oldest convent in Lima, is one the city’s most peaceful spots due to its harmonious architectural style. Consisting of a series of cloisters and courtyards surrounded by service areas and community halls, to the right of its main altar, you will find the final resting places of Saint Rose of Lima, San Martin de Porres and the beatified Juan Masías. Church and Convent of San Francisco:
LIMA PICTURE LIMADue to its magnificent harmony of volume and color, San Francisco is considered by some as the greatest architectural complex of its kind in Latin America. Its construction was started in 1542 and completed in 1674.The convent, the cloisters and gatehouse are decorated with tiles from Seville. In the basement are underground galleries or catacombs that, during the Viceroyalty, served as a cemetery for the city.